Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Memories


When I was a young girl my mom and dad and sister Cynthia, were away cleaning the department store JcPenney's in Midvale and I was home with my sisters Michele, Kristine & Annette. We were fortunate that the power went out at the home that night so my sister Michele decided that we should read this amazing book to pass the time by flash light. I remember the feelings of love that she would be so willing to take time from here busy schedule to share this wonderful book with us. I often have wondered if I loved this book because of the time I got to spend with my sisters, the atmosphere that was created with no lights as we read it or if it was the truly wonderful story. I really think it was a little of all three. I remember that my parents came home and wondered why we were reading with the lights out but we made them leave them off until we finished the book. It is a wonderful & special memory that has been ever ingrained in my mind.

The other day I decided to read the book once again and was worried that I might not enjoy it quite so much but I was pleasantly surprised. As I began to read all the wonderful memories of that night so long ago with my sisters came flooding back and I was once again so grateful for them and all that they did to shape me into the person I am today. I could not put this little treasure down and read it again in a couple of hours. What a great message of hope, to look for the good in our surroundings and to reach out to those we meet throughout our lives. I will always cherish this wonderful book and am so glad that it is once again in print.

3 comments:

chrissy said...

that was a sweet story :)

i've been wanting to read this but i can't find it anywhere at the library! they said they don't have it. i didn't realize it was an older book.

Lace said...

Well that's a kind thought and a great idea. I will keep my eyes out for that book and maybe I'll read it to the kids in the dark :0)

Annie said...

You made me excited to read that book. I have already read the other book group book and now need to start that one.