Monday, December 15, 2008

Ring in the Bells
Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert
December 13, 2008
We had the wonderful opportunity to go hear the Tabernacle Choir's annual Christmas concert with Mark's mom and dad. It was a wonderful evening. Before we headed to the concert we decided to meet for dinner. We went to the Little America Coffee Shop which is always a nice meal. While Mark & I were sanding in line to be seated the most awesome thing happened. President and Sister Monson came out of the restaurant. What a wonderful experience to see the Prophet so close and to feel his love for all of us. He greeted everyone with a friendly smile and even joked with some of the people. You could see the love radiate from him for each one of us. I must say that was the best part of the whole evening. I never would think that I would ever be that close to the Prophet of the Church. He is truly a man of God sent to direct the church for our days.

The concert was a very special treat. Brian Stokes Mitchell was the featured guest singer along with Edward Hermann who read an thoughtful story about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and how the song "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" came to be written. I never knew that he lost his wife to a house fire and later his son to a war injury. It was a touching story of despair and hope. It brought such a wonderful message of peace during these troubling times. It helped me to reflect on all that our Heavenly Father has given us and the peace of coming to know our Savior and his atonement can bring about joy we all are seeking for. I also enjoyed the wonderful songs that were sung by Brian Stokes Mitchel about being grateful and the joy of the Christmas Season. As always the choir is so awesome to listen to. It was a very wonderful evening and we were so glad that we were able to share this time with Mark's parents.

May we all reflect on the Birth of the Savior at this Christmas season. He is why we celebrate this beautiful time of year. We wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

9 comments:

marlene said...

To be so close to President Monson, how amazing, I can't even imagine...what an awesome experience! I can't wait to see the concert - I have it recorded. I am always grateful for the moments (whether it be music, a movie or whatever) during these holiday months that really help me to reflect on why we celebrate.

Angie said...

That concert was so great. I loved seeing the pure joy in BSM face when he sang. Seeing the performer have so much joy and fun with what he's doing makes it so much more enjoyable. And to see the prophet! How awesome!

chrissy said...

That sounds awesome. I love the Tabernacle Choir, especially their Christmas stuff. And how cool that you saw President Monson! Last year he was at A Christmas Carol at the Hale Center Theater while we were. He was two rows over. That was kinda cool, but he came ten minutes late and left ten minutes early. I'm sure to beat the mob! So it's neat you got to kind of interact with him for a little while :)

Rachel Teran said...

It is incredible to be so close to him, isn't it? You can instantly see the light of Christ radiating through him.

Alex and I were supposed to go to the concert, but the tickets were never mailed to us. Bummer, huh?

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

WOW. You are awesome. I just realized you have the blog. I have been out of it for awhile now. I'm so happy to see a Sherilyn blog:) Hooray:)

Nancy said...

So we just received Mark's card and calendar. Nick was quiet for a minute and then said to me, "Mom, I really miss going to the "Christmas Show" with Mark and Sherilyn. I told Nick, "Well, maybe next year. And Jack can go with you." He replied. "No....it's just for me!"
I think he really misses this time of year with you and Mark. I'm just so happy you have a special tradition with him.
We hope you are having joy with your Christmas preparations!
We love you guys.
Nancy

Rachel Teran said...

We definitely enjoyed it. Christmas is so much more enjoyable when you're married. :)

Lace Olpin said...

What a neat experience to see the prophet that close, and I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!

Live learn laugh said...

You are lucky! I put in for tickets-nadda...